The Resident Medical Officer role is accountable for the effective provision of medical services to the workforce including contractors, dependents, and the community.
- Provide Medical Services for employees, contractors, and dependents to include Out-Patient Clinics, In-Patient Services, Medical Referral Services arrangements, Surgeries, and post operative care.
- Support the Emergency Response Team in the management of work-related medical emergencies.
- Ensure that the mine hospital has a robust in-house emergency response team to provide a 24/7 cover for the mine.
- Provide in-house training to the medical team on management of medical emergencies.
- Conduct medical emergency drills and simulation exercises
- Conduct medical examination for employees and contractors at pre-employment, periodic and exit levels
- Support the occupational health and hygiene in the development and implementation of risk based medical surveillance program for the mine
- Support the occupational health team in treatment, rehabilitation and return to work management of injured and/or sick employees and contractors
- Contribute to employee mental health and wellbeing risk assessments and risk management.
- Provide medical services and support for persons with chronic medical conditions including diabetes and hypertension
- Support the medical and wellbeing teams to monitor compliance to treatment for persons with chronic medical conditions and trace defaulters
- Provide first line medical management to persons mental health related conditions and liaise with the clinical psychologist and/or specialist psychiatrist where needed.
- Provide employee education on chronic medical and psychosocial health related conditions
- Support HIV/TB Control Programs for the mine and the communities
- Support Malaria Control Program for the mine and the communities
- Participate in the planning, organization, and implementation of host community medical outreach programs for the mine
- Contribute to the development, implementation, and maintenance of interventions against the outbreak of Covid-19 in the mine, the host communities and the entire Tarkwa municipality.
- Conduct at least one internal audit to ensure compliance with ISO 45001 and Combined Assurance requirements.
- Play a key role in ensuring the preparedness of the medical team and the mine during occupational health and medical audits organized internally or externally (including HEFRA audits)
- Assist Health Manager in the management and smooth running of the Health Unit of the HSE Department
- Provide leadership that fosters strong values and inspire and motivate team members to improve productivity and morale whilst reducing HSE incidents on the mine
- Ensure that all direct reports are in good standing with respective professional regulatory bodies
- Assist in the preparation of health budget to enable adequate provision of financial resources to facilitate the effective operationalization of the mine health facility
- Set yearly critical tasks for direct reports to ensure the implementation of HSE objectives
- Provide training, coaching and mentorship to ensure the growth and development of team members
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Sciences or Medicine and Surgery (MB ChB) or its equivalent from a recognized institution
- Specialization or additional competency in Family Medicine or Occupational Health will be an advantage
- Minimum of 5 years post qualification working experience in the medical field
- Additional working experience in the mining industry will be an advantage
- Registered Medical Practitioner (Ghana Medical and Dental Council) Certificate
in good standing with Medical and Dental Council
- Good management skills with ability to lead a team of health professional
- Ability to engage with different stakeholders.
- Knowledge in MS Office applications.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting
- Well planned, organized with keen attention to details
- Must have strong desire to coach and develop others by sharing skills and knowledge
- Must possess very strong human relations skills and ability to interact with people of diverse culture and value
- Medical fitness for the position and environment
- Possess a valid driver’s license and proficiency in driving light vehicle
Mode of Application
Interested candidates should submit their application by clicking on “APPLY“ button below before close of business on Friday 24 June 2022. Applicants not contacted within 31 days of applying, should consider their application unsuccessful.
Recruitment Agency approaches and referrals will not be accepted for this role, all interested candidates must apply directly to be considered for any vacancy advertised by AAIL.