Over 20 of Ghana’s leading technology entrepreneurs and companies were honoured on Saturday for their contributions to expanding and strengthening the technology ecosystem at the first ever MOBEX Africa Innovation Awards.
The event, organised by Coasters Company Limited, was founded to help drive the creative, technical, and professional progress of providing innovative solutions to social challenges, enhancing businesses and evolving forms of social interactions.
The awards ceremony, the first of its kind, compliments Ghana’s foremost annual multiple-day technology conferences and exhibition event, Africa Mobile and ICT Expo.
According to the CEO of Coasters Company limited, George Spencer Quaye, the awards scheme “is an industry-specific awards scheme developed to honour excellence, innovation and creativity of enterprises and individuals helping transform lives and livelihoods using technology and solving socio-economic problems with the deployment of ICT skills and knowledge.”
With over 30 categories awarded, GCnet , MainOne, Margins , MTN Ghana and Vodafone Health line and Ecobank were the top winners on the night.
Chief Operating Officer of Coasters Company Limited, Alain Gbeasor in a speech noted that it was the hope of the judging panel for the awards to begin a “revolution on how we see innovation as the driving force of our digital enterprise. AFRICA and Ghana’s transformation must be based on technologically relevant innovation for our context.”
The winners of each category were chosen by the prominent MIA Academy made up of academics, industry experts, public officials, the private sector, entrepreneurs, company directors and scientists from around the African continent.
This year’s soiree saw special awards bestowed on Philip Ashon of Citi FM as the Eva Lokko ICT Journalist of year, Patrick Awuah Jnr President of Ashesi as Excellence in Education Innovation as well Innovation Pacesetters Awards to Moses Maiden and Valentina Mintah.
Mobex Africa Innovation 2018 Awards
INNOVATION IN LIFESTYLE
- TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION OF THE YEAR (TRAVEL & HOSPITALITY) – Wakanow
- TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION (ENTERTAINMENT & LIFESTYLE) – DSTV Now
- TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION OF THE YEAR (RETAIL & COMMERCE)-Jumia
INNOVATION IN ENTERPRISE
- TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION OF THE YEAR (OVERALL BEST INNOVATION)-West Blue
- DEVICE MARKETING COMPANY OF THE YEAR- Telefonika
- INNOVATION IN CSR OF THE YEAR- Vodafone Health line
- ENTERPRISE SOLUTION OF THE YEAR (CORPORATE)- Red Mango
- ENTERPRISE SOLUTION OF THE YEAR – MainONe
- MOBILE APP OF THE YEAR- GCnet
TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION – GOVERNANCE & DEVELOPMENT
- TELECOM SUPPORT SERVICE OF THE YEAR (INFRASTRUCTURE)- Helios
- TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION OF THE YEAR (EDUCATION) – Odekro
- TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION OF THE YEAR (AGRICULTURE) – Esoko
- TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION (GOVERNANCE)- GCnet
- TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION IN HEALTH- Vodafone Health line
- TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION IN ENVIRONMENT SUSTAINABILITY – J2K
- TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION IN MEDIA – CITI FM
FINANCIAL INCLUSION AND TECHNOLOGY
- FINTECH INNOVATION – Ecobank
- INNOVATION IN BANKING SOLUTIONS – Ecobank
- INNOVATION IN CYBER SECURITY/ANTI FRAUD – Margins
- INNOVATION IN MONEY TRANSFER – MoneyGram
- INNOVATION IN MOBILE MONEY – MTN
- PAYMENT SOLUTION INNOVATION – Express Pay
- MOBILE DEVICE OF THE YEAR – TECNO PHANTOM 8
- DIGITAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN – Margins
- E-COMMERCE (SME) – www.ahonya.com
- 4G SERVICE PROVIDER OF THE YEAR – MTN
- MOBILE NETWORK SERVICE PROVIDER OF THE YEAR – MTN
- RISING STAR AWARD – Frank Darko (Water Bicycle)
- INNOVATION PACESETTER OF THE YEAR (Male) – Moses Baiden
- INNOVATION PACESETTER OF THE YEAR (Female) – ValentinaMintah
- JUDGES AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATION – Patrick Awuah Jr