The Committee of Eminent Chiefs led by Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, finding a lasting solution to the protracted Dagbon chieftaincy crisis, has insisted that the funeral of Yaa-Na Yakubu Andani will continue despite Thursday’s disturbance in Yendi.
At least one person died, several others got injured whilst some houses were burnt in yet another deadly clash between the Andani and Abubu royal gates in Yendi on January 10.
The attacks occurred at a time some chiefs were arriving in the town for the royal funeral (browse this site for services )the late chief of Dagbon who was murdered in 2002. The process was temporarily suspended.
But a statement issued from the Manhyia Palace on Saturday stressed: “On Sunday, 13th January 2019, all customary process will continue to pave way for the performance of the funeral by the Elders of the Andani royal family.”
The Committee also demanded that the Northern Regional Security Council provides adequate security to facilitate the smooth performance of the funeral by the Andanis. You can read more here
The Committee of Eminent Chiefs has therefore assured:
1. The Final funeral rites of the late Yaa-Na Andani Yakubu II is continuing in accordance with the road map.
2. On Sunday, 13th January 2019, all customary process will continue to pave way for the performance of the funeral by the Elders of the Andani royal.
3. On Thursday, 17th January 2019, Kampakuya-Naa Andani Yakubu Abdulai will perform the circumambulation to complete the funeral process on Friday 18th January 2019.
4. On the evening of Friday, 18th January 2019, the accredited elders of Dagbon, will enter the sacred seclusion to consult the traditional oracles for the selection of a new Ya-Na.
5. The Committee has further directed that the Northern Regional Security Council provides adequate security to facilitate the smooth performance of the funeral by the Andani Royal family and the selection of Ya-Na by the elders of Dagbon.
Meanwhile, the media and the general public have been admonished to seek clarification on matters concerning Dagbon Peace Process from the committee through the Northern Regional Security Council.